amd rx 480

• 9 Replies

Offline {XG}Light

• +17/-8
    • View Profile
amd rx 480
« on: 12 July 2016, 18:07:59 »

Amd has recently released the RX 480.What do you think about it guys?Is someone planning to buy it?
Personally i need a new video card but i'm waiting the release of the gtx 1060 and then i will decide what to do

Offline Gijs

• Founder of the {XG} Clan
  • Clan Leader
  • +119/-31
    • View Profile
    • Elite Game Servers
Re: amd rx 480
« Reply #1 on: 12 July 2016, 19:22:29 »
  • The 480 is a great card, with an awesome price performance ratio. Although you may want to wait for versions with customized coolers which will be quieter and cool better.
  • The Nvidia 1060 has had a paper launch, it will probably take a few months until you can actually buy it in store.
My personal opinion:

Since I already have a Radeon 290 I don't really get any performance benefits from upgrading to a RX 480. As such I'll wait till AMD brings out their new high end "Vega" video cards with HBM2 memory. (Depending on the price, I'm not planning on spending more than 300-400 euro at a video card.)

I will never buy an Nvidia card, because:

1. We had the Halo active camouflage issue before the 1.10 patch.
Nvidia could have fixed it with drivers but didn't bother. (I personally informed them back in 2008, but they were to prideful to fix it and as such we had to resort to third party hacks.. Apparently customer experience is not important, no?  ???)

Here is my actual post on their forum: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/390247/halo-combat-evolved-active-camouflage-bug-bug-exists-sins-realise-of-game/
Excuse my way of writing, as it was shit back when I was 14 ;)

2. Nvidia is a scumbag company (Their "the way it's meant to be played" campaign is complete bullshit. Not to mention their "Game Works" program that only exist of propriety technology which is designed to creates worse performance for AMD and older Nvidia card's. Nvidia even forces smaller developers and pays the larger ones to make use of  "Game Works' so that people will buy a new Nvidia card..

Nvidia might make good video cards, but I won't buy their products because their philosophy is to make as much money as possible by ruining the PC gaming industry.

AMD is like the complete opposite, they actually makes open source stuff and do things which makes the whole gaming industry move forward. For example TressFX and Mantle which resulted in DirectX 12 and Vulkan (Which replaces OpenGL).
« Last Edit: 12 July 2016, 19:24:13 by Gijs »
Elite Game Servers, Premium Game and Voice Server Hosting

Offline {XG}Light

• +17/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 July 2016, 20:50:48 »
  • The 480 is a great card, with an awesome price performance ratio. Although you may want to wait for versions with customized coolers which will be quieter and cool better.
  • The Nvidia 1060 has had a paper launch, it will probably take a few months until you can actually buy it in store.
My personal opinion:

Since I already have a Radeon 290 I don't really get any performance benefits from upgrading to a RX 480. As such I'll wait till AMD brings out their new high end "Vega" video cards with HBM2 memory. (Depending on the price, I'm not planning on spending more than 300-400 euro at a video card.)

I will never buy an Nvidia card, because:

1. We had the Halo active camouflage issue before the 1.10 patch.
Nvidia could have fixed it with drivers but didn't bother. (I personally informed them back in 2008, but they were to prideful to fix it and as such we had to resort to third party hacks.. Apparently customer experience is not important, no?  ???)

Here is my actual post on their forum: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/390247/halo-combat-evolved-active-camouflage-bug-bug-exists-sins-realise-of-game/
Excuse my way of writing, as it was shit back when I was 14 ;)

2. Nvidia is a scumbag company (Their "the way it's meant to be played" campaign is complete bullshit. Not to mention their "Game Works" program that only exist of propriety technology which is designed to creates worse performance for AMD and older Nvidia card's. Nvidia even forces smaller developers and pays the larger ones to make use of  "Game Works' so that people will buy a new Nvidia card..

Nvidia might make good video cards, but I won't buy their products because their philosophy is to make as much money as possible by ruining the PC gaming industry.

AMD is like the complete opposite, they actually makes open source stuff and do things which makes the whole gaming industry move forward. For example TressFX and Mantle which resulted in DirectX 12 and Vulkan (Which replaces OpenGL).
In all my life i've had only amd cards but only because they were cheaper  ;D and usually better than the nvidia cards(for this in 2012 i bought the hd 7870 which is quite low nowdays).
Considering that I will probably reach 300 euro within Winter, for full HD with ultra details should i buy this or wait for more video cards?
Thanks

Offline Gijs

• Clan Leader
  • +119/-31
    • View Profile
    • Elite Game Servers
« Reply #3 on: 12 July 2016, 23:44:48 »
This card is just shy of 300 euro if you get the 8GB version. I doubt we will see better cards in this price range this year.
Disclaimer: I can't predict the future with 100% accuracy  ;)

Btw: You could even go for the 4GB version for ~230 euro, apparently most of them have 8GB memory which is disabled with a software trick. As such you can unlock it to 8GB quite easily.

Although the next batch will probably have only 4GB on the hardware and then this won't work any more. All in all you can't be 100 % sure if the 4GB version can be unlocked to an 8GB version so I suggest doing a bit of research on this if you want to consider this option.

Personally I would only do that if I was going to get the 4GB version anyway, and then see it as a little extra if it unlocks.

Offline {XG}Light

• +17/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 July 2016, 08:59:49 »
This card is just shy of 300 euro if you get the 8GB version. I doubt we will see better cards in this price range this year.
Disclaimer: I can't predict the future with 100% accuracy  ;)

Btw: You could even go for the 4GB version for ~230 euro, apparently most of them have 8GB memory which is disabled with a software trick. As such you can unlock it to 8GB quite easily.

Although the next batch will probably have only 4GB on the hardware and then this won't work any more. All in all you can't be 100 % sure if the 4GB version can be unlocked to an 8GB version so I suggest doing a bit of research on this if you want to consider this option.

Personally I would only do that if I was going to get the 4GB version anyway, and then see it as a little extra if it unlocks.
In the country where i live(Italy)AMD released only the 8gb and the taxes has increased much the price...
Btw in import sites i find the RX 480 8gb for 250 euro, msi custom one for 15 euro more,xfx custom one for 30 euro more.
Anyway no trace of 4gb version  >:(

Offline Gijs

• Clan Leader
  • +119/-31
    • View Profile
    • Elite Game Servers
« Reply #5 on: 13 July 2016, 21:11:51 »
250? in my country it's like 280 right now..  :o

Offline {XG}Light

• +17/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 July 2016, 21:51:15 »
250? in my country it's like 280 right now..  :o
In sites which import from other countries around 250 from sites like amazon etc 300

when i say" sites which import from other countries" i mean :sites which probably import and don't pay taxes  ;D
« Last Edit: 13 July 2016, 22:55:08 by {XG}Light »

Offline Gijs

• Clan Leader
  • +119/-31
    • View Profile
    • Elite Game Servers
« Reply #7 on: 19 July 2016, 17:24:45 »
Nope, in Germany and France these cards are a little cheaper. So it can be completely legit.

Anyway, the Nvidia 1060 is out now but most stores don't have them in stock.. They costs almost 400 euro at the moment and are about 7% faster.
In DirectX 12 and Vulkan games the performance difference is even smaller, as AMD card's support Asynchronous Shaders. Nvidia card's use a software trick to support it, but that is not as fast as on AMD card's.

So if I were you I'd still go for the RX 480.

Offline {XG}Light

• +17/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 July 2016, 11:49:44 »
Nope, in Germany and France these cards are a little cheaper. So it can be completely legit.

Anyway, the Nvidia 1060 is out now but most stores don't have them in stock.. They costs almost 400 euro at the moment and are about 7% faster.
In DirectX 12 and Vulkan games the performance difference is even smaller, as AMD card's support Asynchronous Shaders. Nvidia card's use a software trick to support it, but that is not as fast as on AMD card's.

So if I were you I'd still go for the RX 480.
I have also seen dx 12 benchmarks in which the rx 480 performs better (hitman.ashes of singularity).
Considering that i will probaly  get the card in winter.... I think(hope) that other games in dx 12 will be released.
I think i will get the rx 480 anyway...but should i get a custom or the reference one?
thanks
« Last Edit: 21 July 2016, 11:59:44 by {XG}Light »

Offline Gijs

• Clan Leader
  • +119/-31
    • View Profile
    • Elite Game Servers
« Reply #9 on: 21 July 2016, 23:23:48 »
It depends, custom ones have better coolers which means they run cooler for overclocking and they are usually less noisy.
Custom boards might also come with an extra power plug,

as you may know the reference design uses a little more power over the power plug than officially supported by the standards, although this doesn't cause issues it might limit the overclocking potential of these chips. With an extra power plug you might be able to overclock it further.

Background info: There was an issue where the RX 480 was drawing more than 75 watt over the PCIE slot which caused issues with some computers.
They fixed this with a driver to draw more power from the 6 pin power plug instead of the PCIE slot. Which resolves these issues some people had, but it's not exactly according to the standards. Some people say it limits the overclocking potential of the card and that an 8pin or two 6 pins on custom boards will improve this.

The good thing about the reference design? It's a reference design, so all overclocking tools will work. e.g. MSI afterburner works for your cheap card from another brand (since they are all the exact same reference design).
For this reason I usually buy Sapphire card's they often use the reference design, but with a custom cooler and as such are usually the cheapest in these series.

Also one piece of advice: don't stare down to benchmark numbers. Every tech site has different out comes and it's good to get an indication. But what really matters is that the games you play run smoothly. A 10% performance is the difference between for example 50 and 55 FPS, you won't notice it. What does matter when buying a GPU is a stable frame rate and whether or not you can play the games you want to at the graphical quality you want to and that fits within your budget.
« Last Edit: 21 July 2016, 23:31:13 by Gijs »