UST

• 3 Replies

Mator

UST
« on: 05 August 2014, 07:32:14 »

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Description:
The Ultimate Stunting Tutorial is a video project that I started in 2007. The original goal of the project was to create a tutorial video documenting every stunt/trick/glitch on the Halo: Combat Evolved multiplayer map Blood Gulch. At the time, I knew only 30 stunts on Blood Gulch, and considered this an easy endeavor. However, as I worked on the video I learned more. Over the years the list of stunts grew from 30 to 400. When the list of stunts reached 400, I decided I had to stop adding more to the video. The result of this gargantuan effort is the massive video project I bring you today. I have put my heart and soul into this project.  Enjoy.

Statistics:
Started 04/2007
Completed 08/04/2014
400 stunts
4 hours, 45 minutes 2 seconds of video content
43 video parts
Over 600gb of raw footage
Contributions from over 100 stunters
Thousands of screenshots

I don't even play Halo 1, why should I care?
You certainly don't have to care if you don't want to. However, if you want to see some of the crazy things that have been invented over the years by the few thousand players that have been a part of the Halo stunting community, this is a project you really should see. Stunting/tricking is a lot of fun, and has inspired a great many people. You should check it out, to see what it's all about.

What should I watch?
You should start by watching the intro videos. There are three of them, and each is around 2 minutes long. These videos contain highly edited content presented in a montage format. They aren't tutorial videos like the rest of the video. You can also check out the "extras", which are sprinkled throughout the tutorial sections of the video. See the Guide on the official website for where these Extras can be found.

Video quality:
The video is rendered in 1280x960, excluding the intros, which are rendered in 1280x720. The source footage is mainly 640x480, though the source footage for the intros is around 1280x1024. The reason for this is because this video was recorded before I had a powerful computer, so I could only really get 30fps on 640x480 when recording with fraps. You won't be able to notice it very much, however, save for some slight aliasing along edges.

Purpose:
This project was done by me for a few reasons, but the first and foremost reason was to share my knowledge and love for Halo stunting with others. Sadly, this project was completed after I and most others have left the Halo stunting scene. If this project were to gain enough popularity to breathe life back into Halo stunting it would be like a dream come true.

This project was also created as a means for personal growth. In working on this project I have learned about project management (err, project procrastination maybe?), video editing, working with people, web design, and more. It's been an amazing experience for me, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Concerns:
Some of you may be concerned about me. Did I just waste 7 years of my life doing random things in a video game? Fear not, most of those 7 years were spent on other, more important things. My family, social life, school, etc. I also don't just play Halo, I play Skyrim (and develop mods), League of Legends, Minecraft, and various other games. This project, and Halo stunting have both been very important aspects of my life, but they are by no means the only things that have made me who I am today. :)

Additional information:
For additional information on the project, the video parts, etc., please see the official website.

Offline {XG}EagleFL

• +42/-2
  • You can't kill me, it's ill-eagle.
    • View Profile
    • I drank Pyro's milk - I refuse to cooperate
Re: UST
« Reply #1 on: 06 August 2014, 21:20:12 »
At first, when I found a channel with halo stunts, I reconsidered the idea to make machinima, you know, using all these glitches, tricks and stunts, can make a pretty god damn good movie, or even a series ;D

Actually I gave up on my dream about this, since I don't had the time, nor idea, neither the team to make it happen.
But since I saw this, I should take a look at these fancy videos. Maybe... no, but surely I find something epic ::)

Beside sharing the awesomeness, advertising, I can't really help much alone... but guuuuuys, there are like hundreds of us here (yeah, mostly inactive, but... damn it, listen) who can make this happen, together. Someone who put so much work in his project shall have the exact portion of recognition. My minecraft and kind of halo projects failed already, and I know what it feels like to just stare at your work you worked for months without notice, credits, and so on. I can't let anyone feel the same way as I did, so yeah, Mator, you've got my recognition, since I love these kind of stuff, so I'll let my friends know about it on fb, too :))

285 minutes of halo? Hmmm, with my net, I won't be bored for several months... ;D
PVP Whore - Refers to a player who's near soul purpose in the game environment is the uberpwn destruction of other players.

I put the panic in hispanic.
youtube.com/user/WhiteEagleRevenger/

Vintage

« Reply #2 on: 14 August 2014, 06:27:08 »
At first, when I found a channel with halo stunts, I reconsidered the idea to make machinima, you know, using all these glitches, tricks and stunts, can make a pretty god damn good movie, or even a series ;D

Actually I gave up on my dream about this, since I don't had the time, nor idea, neither the team to make it happen.
But since I saw this, I should take a look at these fancy videos. Maybe... no, but surely I find something epic ::)

Beside sharing the awesomeness, advertising, I can't really help much alone... but guuuuuys, there are like hundreds of us here (yeah, mostly inactive, but... damn it, listen) who can make this happen, together. Someone who put so much work in his project shall have the exact portion of recognition. My minecraft and kind of halo projects failed already, and I know what it feels like to just stare at your work you worked for months without notice, credits, and so on. I can't let anyone feel the same way as I did, so yeah, Mator, you've got my recognition, since I love these kind of stuff, so I'll let my friends know about it on fb, too :))

285 minutes of halo? Hmmm, with my net, I won't be bored for several months... ;D

I'm actually working on a series ^_^ I got quite a few voice actors for it :3

and yay stunts! :)

Mator

« Reply #3 on: 07 September 2014, 18:38:32 »

I've thought about doing something similar to that myself a few times.  It's awesome the kind of interesting Machinima scenes you can come up with with stunts/glitches involved.  It opens the door for a lot of interesting ideas.

E.g. A zombie apocalypse with two spartans talking to each other, and one of them setting up a massive Hog Launch to escape into orbit.  The other spartan doesn't know what he's doing.  Then he launches and leaves the other guy behind to be devoured by the zombie horde.  So dramatic.  xD

If you ever want some help or something, let me know.  I'm always up for some Halo.

Actually I read it, and tried to do some tricks. I don't know why it has been so difficult for me to PFR in the exact time  :( So I couldn't do most of those tricks.

PFRing can be difficult to learn at first.  Make sure you have the right gametype, and then just practice, practice, practice.  The grenades and rocket should follow each other as quickly as possible.  I like to do something like this:

Controls
Right Click - Throw Grenade
Left Click - Shoot
g - Switch grenades

PFR
Right Click, press g immediately, start tapping right click extremely quickly.
When you see a frag grenade throw, start tapping left quick extremely quickly.
Done.

I'm actually working on a series ^_^ I got quite a few voice actors for it :3

and yay stunts! :)

That's cool.  Let me know if you need any help.  I'm around.  I don't play that much Halo anymore, but I'm totally up to coming on sometime, even if just for the heck of it.