fix ping?

• 7 Replies

wWw_SnipeZ_wWw

fix ping?
« on: 21 July 2014, 13:32:16 »
is there a way to fix high ping... my ping goes up to  300-700... cant even play  :'(

Offline {XG}EagleFL

• +42/-2
  • You can't kill me, it's ill-eagle.
    • View Profile
    • I drank Pyro's milk - I refuse to cooperate
Re: fix ping?
« Reply #1 on: 21 July 2014, 14:26:41 »
If you own a mobile net, just as me, then we've got our first shared experience about internet providers ::)

I can say, that I own an "average" 80-166 ping, but it is laggy. Especially on no-lead servers. But when me and my friend Jimmy played a little on SMG 07 server, everything changed. 180 constant ping, not a single ping loss, neither fluct. (stuff I learned about ping when I played freelancer) I was unbeatable. 50/3 stats, always 1st, and all my shots were precise and efficient.

All it has to do with ping is your pc, and the server's connection to eachother (am I right?)
if you have a stable connection, no matter your ping, nolead would be result in smooth gameplay. CSB had 370-420 ping, but when it comes to 1v1, he can kill you from every corner, with even the highest ping ;D

At first, I struggled with your mentioned problem too, but it was solved later, when I relocated my pc in my room. Since I have mobile net, the position is the key.

But, since when I have an old, low perfomance THING, it's main hobby to stop up/downloading data, any given moment. It'll cause that cute little logo to pop up in the corner of my screen while playing, not be able to move, and soon kicked from server. I'm used to play a looong youtube video, play it, to keep my net loading. And once it finished, I had enough halo, and I could watch an entire movie after that ;D

But of course it could be simplier to help, If I could be in your room, investigating what could be the problem. (couldcouldcoulcould)
So, if you have mobile net, try to relocate your pc in your room, to achieve the best connection. (worked for me)
If you have cable net... then I dunno, I have nothing to do with them :(
PVP Whore - Refers to a player who's near soul purpose in the game environment is the uberpwn destruction of other players.

I put the panic in hispanic.
youtube.com/user/WhiteEagleRevenger/

wWw_SnipeZ_wWw

« Reply #2 on: 21 July 2014, 14:33:02 »
clearly is becuse my laptop's health... well s**t

Offline {XG}EagleFL

• +42/-2
  • You can't kill me, it's ill-eagle.
    • View Profile
    • I drank Pyro's milk - I refuse to cooperate
« Reply #3 on: 21 July 2014, 14:38:55 »
I have a 8, almost 9 years old pc, with an integrated 16mb video card.. I can only run halo on the lowest graphics, with gamebooster activated, and all other process shut down.

Booting is hard, can't even use the net in the first 10 minutes. So it must be something to do with your net :o
PVP Whore - Refers to a player who's near soul purpose in the game environment is the uberpwn destruction of other players.

I put the panic in hispanic.
youtube.com/user/WhiteEagleRevenger/

wWw_SnipeZ_wWw

« Reply #4 on: 21 July 2014, 14:56:54 »
we have wi-fi (it has a password) but there is 3 laptops and 1 pc thats running on this wi-fi... but its only mine thats on right now

update: i think your right... my laptop is now much faster but halo is still being a "pain in the ass"
« Last Edit: 21 July 2014, 16:41:44 by {XG}Sooux -R »

Offline Gijs

• Founder of the {XG} Clan
  • Clan Leader
  • +119/-31
    • View Profile
    • Elite Game Servers
« Reply #5 on: 21 July 2014, 20:59:24 »
Please see our FAQ:
http://www.xgclan.com/join-xg/faq

It should provide all the information you need to reduce the ping, if you have any questions or still have issues after checking the 9 items then ask it here.

If you own a mobile net, just as me, then we've got our first shared experience about internet providers ::)

I can say, that I own an "average" 80-166 ping, but it is laggy. Especially on no-lead servers. But when me and my friend Jimmy played a little on SMG 07 server, everything changed. 180 constant ping, not a single ping loss, neither fluct. (stuff I learned about ping when I played freelancer) I was unbeatable. 50/3 stats, always 1st, and all my shots were precise and efficient.

All it has to do with ping is your pc, and the server's connection to eachother (am I right?)
if you have a stable connection, no matter your ping, nolead would be result in smooth gameplay. CSB had 370-420 ping, but when it comes to 1v1, he can kill you from every corner, with even the highest ping ;D

This is partly correct, the higher the ping the better for no lead servers since the amount of jitter is going to have a smaller impact.
e.g. 2ms jitter(fluctuation in ping) on a 400ms ping is a lot less in % of the total ping than when you have a 5ms ping and 2 ms jitter.

The other item is that halo runs servers with frames, I believe sapp uses 125 frames per second and the default is 30.
because of this you will usually hit a certain frame, for example frame 20,40,60,80,100,120

If because of the jitter or some other reason you miss frame 20 and instead hit 21, your game will get slightly out of sync.
Which sometimes results in warping, for example when driving fast vehicles. and also causes your lead to change and often gets you a miss.

Like I said this is especially a problem with low pings, for example on the Dutch server I have a 5ms ping and its terrible because each frame lasts 8ms and it can often happen that I miss a frame and get in to another one. On top of that the sapp ping compensation doesn't work very well for low pings, for high pings a miss of frame is usually not noticeable but for low ones it is.

I believe the above is the cause of most lag issues in Halo, but I'm not sure if this is the complete truth. It's mostly based on my observations, server experience and knowledge of the game engine.

Also ping and jitter are influenced by many factors, the internet is a complex route of networks. The way these networks connect to each other can change on the fly due to an outage of a connection between A and B or because there is a sudden spike in traffic resulting in the need to use a different route.
(see it a bit as being an airtraffic controller and having to reroute your traffic because of a bad weather or so)

This is mostly an issue with budget/cheap datacentre's and bad ISP's since they don't buy in enough extra capacity and don't have enough fail overs/backup lines to cover such issues.
The "airtraffic control" is done by the BGP protocol and other internet protocols (which you can see as a navigation system/path finder), which not always find the most optimal path which a human would choose.
(The BGP routing system only looks at the fewest hops (which you can see as switching roads) and ignores a lot of other important factors like: ping/latency, congestion, jitter, price per MB of transferred data for the ISP and datacenter)
Because there are thousands of networks on the internet it's impossible for a human to do all of this, even more so cause the internet changes constantly.

Usually you will find that a bigger ISP/datacenter has better routing because they host many popular websites and have more traffic going at them, meaning its more interesting for an ISP / Datacenter to manually optimize the route to them.

For example the routing to 2 dutch datacenters was completely different for an ISP in India, and as a result the pings varied greatly between our old datacenter and the new one that hosts a lot of popular websites from big companies and the government.

Because of this player 1 and 2 from the same city can have a completely different experience in gameplay.
I think I covered all of the factors that can affect the gameplay, but even I'm not sure of that since its very complex.
« Last Edit: 21 July 2014, 21:10:58 by Gijs »
Elite Game Servers, Premium Game and Voice Server Hosting

wWw_SnipeZ_wWw

« Reply #6 on: 22 July 2014, 16:57:20 »
thx gijs for the help

i will leave my laptop to my school's tech so they can reinstall windows... then everything will hopefully be back to normal :)

csb26

« Reply #7 on: 22 July 2014, 17:36:03 »
A bit off topic , but i just noticed that gijs has 699 posts