A simple whats what on PC gaming with the xbox 360 controller

• 5 Replies

Billy

Hello all,
  Thought id put up a "simple whats what" on PC gaming with the xbox 360 controller.
I am sure most of you know whats what but for those that don't the info is here.

To start i always use a 360 controller to play halo (probably why i'm no good) its just what i prefer, also i understand and know the benefits of using keyboard and mouse over a controller, but there maybe others like me.

so there is a wired 360 controller and a wireless one, both will work just fine for Halo or any other compatible PC games.
Just be sure not to buy the original xbox controller (first generation) which has only 2 buttons on the top because its the 360 pad that has all the compatibility. (see pic of what not to get)

There are different options of course non microsoft controllers (3rd party) and you can even use a ps3 controller with usb or bluetooth, (software and dongle required) but you wont get the compatibility unless you use another software solution to make it emulate a 360 controller.... so your better off just getting an official microsoft one to start with, in my opinion.

n.b for halo specifically the controller support is there, but the dead zones on the analog sticks are very small and not adjustable, this means if a stick leans even slightly when you let go, the player will look/move n that direction.

Three different controllers to purchase are (in varying colors) -

1 - A wired controller (you wont worry about batteries but you have a long lead attached)

2 - A wireless controller (If you get this one you'll notice its just the controller and batteries so you will have to buy the dongle seperately to connect to the pc)

3 - A wireless controller with dongle (its my preffered choice and what i use, works great, and i've had it ages, the only thing to worry about is batteries or you can get a rechargeable pack)

You can get the software drivers from here -
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-gb/d/xbox-360-controller-for-windows

So if you have already got one or are going to get one, this is whats on offer -
You can use it with any xbox 360 :) and a selection of pc games, there are two types of pc games that support the 360 controller -

1 - A pc game with controller support (for games like halo and such where the controller needs to be set up, you need to manually select buttons for actions)

2 - A pc game with dedicated controller support (for games like skyrim and lego marvel super heroes, where you run the game, turn on the controller and it works straight away)

So what can you play with 360 controller compatibility.
At the time of writing there are 519 games supported and a list of all 519 can be found here -
http://www.giantbomb.com/xbox-360-controller-support-for-pc/3015-2465/

Hope this is helpful to some of you, enjoy.
« Last Edit: 07 July 2014, 03:52:51 by Billy »

{XG} IA ROLAND

Re: A simple how to on PC gaming with the xbox 360 controller
« Reply #1 on: 07 July 2014, 02:14:14 »
So you play with the Xbox 🎮  360 control?

Billy

Re: A simple how to on PC gaming with the xbox 360 controller
« Reply #2 on: 07 July 2014, 02:15:25 »
Yeah, can you tell :)

csb26

Re: A simple whats what on PC gaming with the xbox 360 controller
« Reply #3 on: 07 July 2014, 10:51:49 »
I heard that Altis also plays with controller, is that right? if he does, he's freaking good with it .

Billy

« Reply #4 on: 07 July 2014, 13:06:39 »
Hey CSB, sorry i dont know altis.
     The controller works fine for me its just the shots dont seem to connect xD
Could easily kill a player in 2 handgun clips lol....     But do enjoy playing.

Offline {XG}aLTis

• +22/-5
  • It's better to be broken than to break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 July 2014, 16:12:25 »
I used to play with a controller for a few months and I was almost as good as with mouse and keyboard.