• -=CЯУPTΞЖ=-
  • +78/-1
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Halo Multiplayer lives on with GameRanger
« on: 04 May 2014, 12:03:04 »
Quote from: Joystiq.com
The PC versions of Halo: Combat Evolved, its demo and Halo: Custom Edition are now playable through the third-party matchmaking and online gaming program GameRanger. Halo was slated to suffer loss of online functionality when GameSpy's matchmaking services go dark on May 31.

GameRanger began in 1999 and supports nearly 700 PC games and just under 200 for Mac. Prior to the news of GameSpy's impending shutdown, which also affects games like Crysis and Crysis 2, the Australia-based company announced that it achieved five million registered PC users in March. GameRanger picked up other games whose servers got the ax, such as 2005's Need for Speed: Most Wanted in August 2011.

Grand Theft Auto 4 and Red Dead Redemption will remain mostly unaffected by the closure of GameSpy's online services, though other Rockstar games will suffer. EA announced last month that it was working to transition its older Battlefield games to its own Origin service.
http://www.joystiq.com/2014/05/02/halo-combat-evolved-multiplayer-lives-on-with-gameranger/

Quote from: Gameranger.com
Halo 1 now on GameRanger.
The Halo 1 series for PC can now be played on GameRanger and won't suffer the fate of the server shutdowns next month:
Halo: Combat Evolved
Halo: Combat Evolved Demo
Halo: Custom Edition
http://www.gameranger.com/news/

Offline Gijs

• Founder of the {XG} Clan
  • Clan Leader
  • +119/-31
    • View Profile
    • Elite Game Servers
Re: Halo Multiplayer lives on with GameRanger
« Reply #1 on: 04 May 2014, 13:14:50 »
How is this different from xfire?
Will they take over the master servers without anyone having to install any applications to continue playing?
Elite Game Servers, Premium Game and Voice Server Hosting

Offline {XG}aLTis

• +22/-5
  • It's better to be broken than to break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 May 2014, 15:19:04 »
This thing fucking sucks. Seriously.

Offline Blazer

• -=CЯУPTΞЖ=-
  • +78/-1
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: 07 May 2014, 10:15:02 »
This thing fucking sucks. Seriously.
Yes it does.

GameRanger announced that they are adding support for Halo PC/CE. Some people are mistakenly hoping that this is "the solution" for GameSpy shutting down. It is not.

For those who aren't familiar with GameRanger it is a game browser and chat client similar to Xfire. It really does nothing more than what Xfire already does for Halo. In fact, it does less.

I recommend using Xfire instead of GameRanger. Xfire has had Halo PC/CE capabilities for many years and already has a well-established Halo community. It's free to download and use it.

Our clan members all use Xfire and so do many other Halo players. Join our Xfire Server Group (classic or new site), it's the easiest way to add all our servers to your Xfire Favorites.

In other news...

Development of a replacement for the GameSpy master server is going very well. It is likely that the in-game Server Lobby will be able to work even after GameSpy shuts down!

The fix will require an update/patch of your Halo software, which will be published as soon as it is ready. This fix will be available independent of any other Halo mods (eg. HAC2, SAPP, etc) although it might also be incorporated into some mods (or some mods may need to be updated to work with it).

We'll provide further information about the fix soon.

So although I still recommend that you get Xfire set up to connect to our Halo servers, you may only need it as a backup solution.

p.s. While I'm squashing false rumors... I've seen a few people saying that Xfire's server lists will stop working when GameSpy shuts down. No, it will keep working. They have their own database of servers. (Confirmed by Xfire tech support)