Dedicated servers restarts randomly.

• 5 Replies

Trinity

Dedicated servers restarts randomly.
« on: 25 April 2014, 08:32:53 »
RESTART          Mapcycle was automatically restarted after the server was inactive for 60 seconds.

Currently I am investigating the above message appearing on the dedicated servers for {IB}clan. They have had this problem with the servers resetting about twice a day. They operate 6 servers which all do the same thing.
It is the haloce dedi program that is supplied with the game and we have the latest sapp version running. The ports are forwarded and the firewall is set to allow the program to access the internet.
The servers appear to be function normally otherwise. sapp Mapcycle has been enabled with maps loaded and disabled with maps removed but it made no difference.

Any ideas as to the cause of the problem?

Offline {XG}BillClinton

• Clan Leader
  • +89/-7
  • I did not have sexual relations with that woman.
    • View Profile
Re: Dedicated servers restarts randomly.
« Reply #1 on: 25 April 2014, 11:57:23 »
Umm.. You are aware that sapp has a feature which pre loads a map once a server has no players inside it..? My server preloads ratrace.  I don't know why your server would do it after 60 seconds though. Usually it waits until map time has ended before resetting the map.

Oh and my advice,  never use home dedicated servers. If you're going to run a server, do it properly and buy a server from www.elitegameservers.net - they're the cheapest and best. I'm  yet to play a home dedi with good reg / no lag.

Offline Blazer

• -=CЯУPTΞЖ=-
  • +78/-1
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: 25 April 2014, 12:31:36 »
Also, for some people the mapcycle stops randomly, and after that they get a message like "Server was automatically restarted after it was inactive for 60 seconds.". This is because they using some buggy patched haloceded.exe instead of the original. Sapp doesn't request a patched exe and it's always recommended to use the original haloceded.exe with the custom strings.dll which is included in the archive. You can download it too from the new downloads page among with Optic, Halo Chat V2 and a NameHack made by me, which works with all versions of Halo PC and CE.

Trinity

« Reply #3 on: 26 April 2014, 02:03:03 »
Umm.. You are aware that sapp has a feature which pre loads a map once a server has no players inside it..? My server preloads ratrace.  I don't know why your server would do it after 60 seconds though. Usually it waits until map time has ended before resetting the map.

Oh and my advice,  never use home dedicated servers. If you're going to run a server, do it properly and buy a server from www.elitegameservers.net - they're the cheapest and best. I'm  yet to play a home dedi with good reg / no lag.

The maps that have been set up have no problem, this is just a random restart and the map reloaded is the one that has been set.
This is on a server that has been bought not a home dediserver, I have run one of those in the past which I restricted the players so there was no lag for those in Australia.

Also, for some people the mapcycle stops randomly, and after that they get a message like "Server was automatically restarted after it was inactive for 60 seconds.". This is because they using some buggy patched haloceded.exe instead of the original. Sapp doesn't request a patched exe and it's always recommended to use the original haloceded.exe with the custom strings.dll which is included in the archive. You can download it too from the new downloads page among with Optic, Halo Chat V2 and a NameHack made by me, which works with all versions of Halo PC and CE.
I have seen this on the sapp site as well and it is not the problem we have as it is not a patched haloceded.exe.

Offline Gijs

• Founder of the {XG} Clan
  • Clan Leader
  • +119/-31
    • View Profile
    • Elite Game Servers
« Reply #4 on: 26 April 2014, 12:19:30 »
The maps that have been set up have no problem, this is just a random restart and the map reloaded is the one that has been set.
This is on a server that has been bought not a home dediserver, I have run one of those in the past which I restricted the players so there was no lag for those in Australia.
Why don't you contact your server host then? They should offer the support since you're paying them for the service ;)
Elite Game Servers, Premium Game and Voice Server Hosting

Trinity

« Reply #5 on: 26 April 2014, 16:02:51 »
I don't own the server or rent it, I only admin it.
I think the server is not a dedicated halo server, just a hired server that we can use whatever way we want.
Someone else set up the servers but they have always had this problem so I am trying to fix it.

I tried adding this command to the sapp init.txt file "max_idle 0". Now instead of resetting the server just keeps fetching a ip from gamespy.