Which is better

• 11 Replies

Microsoft

Which is better
« on: 11 February 2014, 01:27:22 »
Which is better (window 7 home premium) or (window 7 ultimate)

Offline LOLOx

• +36/-1
  • I'm never in a hurry, i'm just movin' fast.
    • View Profile
Re: Which is better
« Reply #1 on: 11 February 2014, 02:16:40 »
Windows XP

Just kidding, Windows 7 Ultimate is the best. But it kind of depends on what you're looking for.

here's a page where you can see the differences between the editions.
http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-7-whats-the-difference-between-the-editions
"Illness might have took your body but it could never take your soul... Long live Rock 'N Roll"

If LOLOx could walk on water, haters would say it's because he can't swim.

csb26

« Reply #2 on: 11 February 2014, 04:38:14 »
Ultimate.. ( use 64 bit if you have 4gb or + RAM )

Offline Gijs

• Founder of the {XG} Clan
  • Clan Leader
  • +119/-31
    • View Profile
    • Elite Game Servers
« Reply #3 on: 11 February 2014, 16:11:56 »
The different versions have different features unlocked. They're all the same OS though and each has the exact same performance.

Ultimate is more expensive and comes with extra features which you probably don't need (such as bitlocker, remote desktop and others features which are intended for business and IT pro usage).
Here is the list of the major differences in features:

1. The ultimate edition has BitLocker while the home premium edition does not.
2. The ultimate edition has AppLocker while the home premium edition does not.
3. The ultimate edition is capable of booting from a virtual hard drive while the home premium edition is not
4. The ultimate edition has the BranchCache feature while the home premium edition does not.
5. Additional enhancements to VDI and MUI languages are present in the ultimate edition while not in the home premium edition. (allows you to install windows in multiple languages)

All in all, you are probably fine with home premium but if you can get ultimate for the same price you can consider that as well. (take the below upgrade path and the costs in consideration however)

Take note that you can't downgrade to a lower edition of a newer windows edition; for example you can't install Windows 8.1 over Windows 7 Ultimate so you will have to get Windows 8.1 Pro to upgrade over Windows 7 Ultimate.

If you would go with windows 7 home premium, you can upgrade to Windows 8.1 or Windows 8.1 pro.

In other words: you can only upgrade to a version which has the same features or more features, and you can't downgrade to a version with less features.
So if you want to upgrade 7 ultimate, you will have to buy the Pro edition for Windows 8.1 which is more expensive than the normal 8.1 edition.

@CSB
Yes the 64 bit version is the way to go, 32 bit is starting to get outdated and is already deprecated for Windows Server OS's.
64bit has some small benefits over 32 bit, such as extra security features build in to the kernel and a bigger address space which allows you to utilize more ram (memory).
In a few cases it can be faster than 32bit as well, although this is mostly with video encoding and database applications.
Elite Game Servers, Premium Game and Voice Server Hosting

Microsoft

« Reply #4 on: 11 February 2014, 22:12:01 »
Ok thanks, i will try to get a cd by the way

Offline Gijs

• Clan Leader
  • +119/-31
    • View Profile
    • Elite Game Servers
« Reply #5 on: 12 February 2014, 00:14:37 »
7 is to large for a cd, so you will need a dvd.

Or you can get it on a USB stick and install it from there.

Microsoft

« Reply #6 on: 12 February 2014, 01:01:31 »
ok i got windows 8 right now on a dvd but i have to get back windows 7

Offline {XG}BillClinton

• Clan Leader
  • +89/-7
  • I did not have sexual relations with that woman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 February 2014, 11:28:47 »
ok i got windows 8 right now on a dvd but i have to get back windows 7

Stick with win 8. It has better performance than 7 at 90% of tasks and the only thing you really benefit out of windows 7 is that you don't have the shitty metro desktop thing.

Offline Gijs

• Clan Leader
  • +119/-31
    • View Profile
    • Elite Game Servers
« Reply #8 on: 12 February 2014, 11:48:51 »
Upgrade it to 8.1 and install classic shell to get the start menu back: http://www.classicshell.net/

Want to get the normal start menu icon? Look at this: http://www.classicshell.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=853
« Last Edit: 12 February 2014, 11:53:18 by Gijs »

Offline {XG}Light

• +17/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 February 2014, 15:00:58 »
i was really surprised about the more better performance whit windows 8.1
Hitman Absolution gave me some problems whit windows 8.1
I unistalled windows 8 for that
I lost some fps in a lot of games I don't know how it's perform more better  ??? ???
and what say about windows defender it's microsoft security essentials and is most crappy antivirus

csb26

« Reply #10 on: 12 February 2014, 15:16:06 »
I agree windows 8 ( and 8.1) is much faster than windows 7.... windows 8 boot up time is lightning fast , when i first used it  , it merely took 5 seconds to reach to the desktop ... so yeah it is faster but i didn't played any games in that OS . Also Windows 8 security is damn high the antivirus and defender system is better than windows 7 but by googling a lot i found that after booting the performance of both operating system is same and wind 8 is even slower with normal HDD but with SDD it's a lot more favorable . No doubt Windows 8 is good! but i still use Win7 and i'm happy with it

Microsoft

« Reply #11 on: 12 February 2014, 22:48:34 »
ok, i will upgrade to windows 8.1 then :/